The Daily Graff has appeared every weekday since November 1, 2010.
Panorama of the lake at the Chicago Botanic Garden. (Click to enlarge.)
THE EXCUSE FOR NOT ACCEPTING AWARDS BEFORE NOW
Keeping up with a weekday blog plus a full-time day job has kept me from complying with the rules for accepting 8 peer-to-peer awards for which The Daily Graff has been nominated. When I saw that the 500th post would fall on a Monday, I decided to spend some time over the weekend completing the requirements for the awards.
THE PENALTY FOR PROCRASTINATION
To comply with the rules for the following awards I would have to (1) tell 57 things about myself, (2) nominate 60 other bloggers for the awards, and (3) notify them. This would cause a complete meltdown, so after listing each award, I will nominate three blogs for each.
NOTE TO NOMINEES: I would be the LAST person who would want to obligate you to do more work, so consider the nomination how much I appreciate your blog. Whether or not you comply with the rules is up to you. Click on the award URL in your category to grab the award icon for use on your site.
The following 6 awards include the ones that require me to “tell X things about myself.” I will list the awards, say who nominated me, and then tell 15 things about myself at the end of the list.
ALL AROUND WONDERFUL BLOG AWARD
Nominated by Jackie @ Project 365 Challenge in 2012
Rules: Nominate 3 bloggers. Notify them.
2. Garden Walk Garden Talk
3. Jakesprinter Sunday Post
VERY INSPIRING BLOGGER AWARD
Nominated by Cathy @ Comments from Cathy
Nominated by Leanne @ mindfulness4now
Tell seven things about myself. Nominate/Notify 7 bloggers who keep the blogosphere a very beautiful place.
1. Mental Coaching AB: 365 Days
2. Energy Medicine & Chronic Illness
3. ASPIRE. MOTIVATE. SUCCEED!
KREATIV BLOGGER AWARD
Nominated by Marianne @ Mental Coaching AB: 365 Days
Nominated by Frank @ A Frank Angle
Tell 7 things about yourself and nominate 7 other bloggers. Notify them.
1. David Heilman
2. Rancho Reubidoux
3. Dark Pines Photo
Nominated by Mondrak @ Alastair’s Blog
Nominated by Joanne @ Fresh Beginnings and Apple Pies
Choose 5 up-and-coming bloggers with less than 200 followers. Notify them. (The following are beyond “up-and-coming” but are seriously “under-discovered.”)
2. The Shooting Doctor
3. Daniel Mayes
THE SUNSHINE BLOGGER AWARD
Nominated by Mondrak @ Alastair’s Blog
Tell 10 things about yourself and nominate 10 other bloggers. Notify them.
1. Good Morning Mary Sunshine (Joy’s blog that I just discovered this week!)
2. A Frank Angle
3. The Blog of Funny Names
ONE LOVELY BLOG AWARD
Nominated by keerthika @ Wealthymatters
Tell 7 things about yourself and nominate 15 other bloggers. Notify them.
1. Little Trot – trot with me
2. Life as I See It
3. Laughing at Everyday Life
THE 15 THINGS ABOUT MYSELF (for the above awards)
1. I am in my 60s.
2. I have been married for 30 years and have 2 grown children.
3. I have 5 siblings and had 42 first cousins just on my Mom’s side alone.
4. Being part of a big clan is an important part of my identity.
5. My oldest friend is 102 (I have known her for 34 years)
6. I am conservative on some issues, liberal on others.
7. I have worked for 34 years as a course editor/developer for a university.
8. I took advantage of an early buyout and retired 6 years ago but had to go back to work after 16 months.
9. My wife and I share one car that has almost 200,000 miles on it.
10. I am co-chair of the meal committee at church (cooking dinners for 25-200 people and overseeing a Thanksgiving potluck for 400).
11. I raise Streptocarpus under lights (first one, “Bristol’s Tie Dyed,” bloomed nonstop for two-and-one-half YEARS until I had to divide it). See link to Flickr photostream in right-hand menu on home page.
12. My main hobbies are photography, gardening, and cooking.
13. I published a book of humorous letters in 2010 (available in a 2nd Kindle Edition–see link at left on home page).
14. I’m still trying to decide what I want to be when I grow up (“editor/course developer” isn’t IT).
15. The Daily Graff is the most rewarding thing I have ever done!
THE AWESOME BLOG CONTENT AWARD
Nominated by Otto @ Münchow’s Creative Photo Blog
Use the alphabet to describe yourself. Pass on to as many nominees as you wish. Notify them. (Meltdown here)
A. ALWAYS looking for inanimate objects, plants, or animals that can “Talk.”
B. BIRTH CERTIFICATE has been authenticated.
C. CHRISTIAN (member of an evangelical congregation for 30 years this Oct)
D. DETERMINED never to miss a weekday post.
E. EAGER to learn new things.
F. FAILED to reach my potential
G. GRATEFUL for family, friends, and my BLOG FOLLOWERS (shameless patronizing)
H. HIGH on HUMOR
I. INTERESTED in everything
J. JOHN (of the opinion that there should be at least one in every building)
K. KREATIVE (speller)
L. LOVE simple, quiet moments
M. MINDFUL of my limitations
N. NOT as fit as I used to be
P. PUNS, PUNS, PUNS!
Q. QUESTIONING my mission in life
R. REALLY concerned about the state of the world
S. SINGING lets me SOAR
T. TRYING to work out my relationship with God
U. UNDER stress much of the time
V. VERY glad for the Internet that allows me to reach an audience
W. WORRIED about money (but if “money talks” it could show up on the blog)
X. X-TREMELY grateful for my BLOG FOLLOWERS (more patronizing)
Y. “Y” did I decided to jump through all these award hoops
Z. ZEN-LIKE settings help me to gear down.
THE SUNSHINE AWARD
Nominated by Turber @ Follow Me Into The Darkness Of My Mind
Nominated by Nizy @ Nizy’s Life Compendium
Nominated by Sam Han @ Bonding Tool
Answer 10 questions about yourself. Nominate 10 other bloggers for this award. Notify them. (The 2 sets of 10 questions had some overlap, resulting in 15 unique questions. Too difficult to pass this award on.)
1. Favorite color: GREEN
2. Favorite animal: CAT
3. Favorite number: TWO (no. of children)
4. Favorite non-alcoholic beverage: ICED TEA
5. Prefer Facebook or Twitter? NEITHER (blogging friends are the only virtual community I need)
6. Passion: PHOTOGRAPHY
7. Prefer giving or getting presents? GIVING on Christmas, GETTING on Birthday
8. Favorite pattern: WOOD GRAIN
9. Favorite day of the week: SATURDAY
10. Favorite flower: ROSES (I have a rose garden)
11. Favorite Christmas movie: IT’S A WONDERFUL LIFE
12. Favorite time of year: SPRING
13. Favorite time of day: MORNING (I’m up by 6:00 or 7:00 even on weekends)
14. Favorite physical activity: GARDENING
15. Favorite vacation: THE BEACH
In addition to the above awards I had previously complied with the rules for the following awards:
THE VERSATILE BLOGGER AWARD
THE READER APPRECIATION AWARD
THE CANDLE LIGHTER AWARD